I Thessalonians 5:20, 21

Do not despise expounding of scripture, but scrutinize all things. Hold fast that which is right.

Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

- I prefer liberty with danger to peace with slavery.

____________________________________________

See also Kerux Replies at Wordpress.com where all future missives will also be posted.

However, because Wordpress charges an outrageous $59.95 a year for a video upload upgrade, videos will only be linked, not embedded.
___


Friday, December 14, 2007

Why Contacting Your 'Representative" is Futile

Below posted in full is a reply from my 'representative' in Congress to an email I sent telling him to impeach Bush and Cheney:

December 13, 2007

Dear Mr. Fockaert,

Thank you for contacting me regarding impeachment. I appreciate
you taking the time to share your concerns with me.

I certainly share your anger and frustration with the Bush
Administration. My record of criticism against this Administration
is extensive. From the devastating war in Iraq to the blatant attack
on our civil liberties to its harmful environmental policies, I
believe this Administration has taken our country in a dangerous
direction.

There is no doubt in my mind that this Administration is the worst
in my lifetime. However, while I have supported further study and
debate of impeachment, I believe impeachment proceedings are
not the best course of action at this time for two reasons:

First, impeachment hearings would bring our government to a
standstill for many months. Congress would be completely
consumed with the process of impeachment and we would not be
able to continue our efforts to take the country in a new direction.
Two prime examples of critical priorities that would suffer are: 1)
Our work on one the most forward-thinking energy bills in more
than 30 years and 2) Efforts to get 10 million children the
healthcare coverage they desperately need.

Second, an effort to impeach the president or vice president would
ultimately fail. Even if the House voted to initiate impeachment
proceedings, the Senate is the only body charged by the
constitution with trying impeachment. Right now, the Senate has a
very slim Democratic majority, and as a result, the Senate has been
unable to pass many important measures drafted by the Democratic
Leadership. Given its current make up, the Senate would never be
able to pass an impeachment provision. Therefore, I do not believe
we should bring our government to a standstill when we know that
impeachment would fail.

I do, however, believe it is important that we continue talking
about impeachment. This kind of discourse is what our democracy
is all about. That is why when a resolution by Congressman
Dennis Kucinich to initiate impeachment was recently brought to
the House floor, I voted in favor of the resolution because I
thought it deserved further debate. This resolution is now being
reviewed by the Judiciary Committee and I will continue to follow
its progress.

Meanwhile, Congress will continue holding the Bush
Administration accountable for its actions. Since the beginning of
this year, we have held dozens of hearings into the
Administration's actions, from the war in Iraq to the response to
Hurricane Katrina to its damaging environmental policies. If these
hearings find proof the President or the Vice President committed a
crime, then I will certainly support moving impeachment
proceedings forward in the House.

Again, thank you for sharing your passionate concerns with me.
Please continue to contact me on all issues of importance to you
and to our district.

Sincerely,

MIKE THOMPSON
Member of Congress
http://www.mikethompson.house.gov

You cannot reply to this email. If you would like to email me, please
visit
http://www.house.gov/writerep

My reply was:

Mr. Thompson,

Your words:
I certainly share your anger and frustration with the Bush
Administration. My record of criticism against this Administration
is extensive. From the devastating war in Iraq to the blatant attack
on our civil liberties to its harmful environmental policies, I
believe this Administration has taken our country in a dangerous
direction.


The Bush Administration has taken this entire country in a 'dangerous direction,' but you don't support impeachment? But some smoke a joint and get busted or break the speed limit by five mph and pay the price? Next time I have to pay the price for breaking the law, I'll try your suggestion:

"....it is important that we continue talking about"
breaking the law "as that is what our democracy is all about."

We don't have a democracy Mr. Thompson, we had a Constitutional Republic, that is until representatives like you no longer represented us because you think that you were sent to Washington to do what you think needs doing - energy bills and health care for children - [why is it you politicians always hide behind children?] - rather than doing what your constituents tell you to do - which in this case is making our leaders obey the law of our land and when they don't you take steps to remove them from office whether those attempts fail or not.

"Please continue to contact me on all issues of importance to you
and to our district."


Why should I? it does no good.

You, Mr. Thompson, work for me and based upon the foregoing are unfit to represent me and my family, as you're not fulfilling your oath of office which is to uphold and defend the Constitution of these United States.

Sincerely,

Charles Fockaert

0 comments:

Post a Comment